We asked all the writers taking part in PlayPen Get to the End to name five things that stopped them Getting to the End of writing a play and five things that helped them Get to the End.
Roger Boyle writer of In Mother’s Footsteps:
Five things that stopped me:
- I see great weak points when I look at it, so it’s probably not finished!
- Endless fine tuning
- Realisation that if I finish it, I have to let it go
- Studying good plays – I cannot aspire to that technical or linguistic skill
- That someone else needed it to be done
- The pleasure in having something “finished”
- The 20m reading convinced me that it could be made to work
- “Hey, an hour’s stage action – that’s nothing. It’s gotta be easy.”
Roger Boyle’s first full length play was presented at Aberystwyth Arts Centre on 19th September as part of the PlayPen Get to the End project.
A full schedule of the plays for Get to the End and links to buy tickets available here.